Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Kohlrabi

First, an update: last night, in an effort to save our greens from rot, I cooked up all the greens we've gotten from the CSA except the lettuce (kale and mustard greens) and grilled the leek in my grill pan with olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.  So delicious.  I must have more leeks!

Today, no leeks and just clear liquids all day.  Bore.  Long story.

And now for my real post...... our share menu for today includes kohlrabi.  I had to google it, of course, and came across an NY Times article  (and recipe for kohlrabi home fries - YUM).  Kohlrabi is a member of the cabbage family, full of nutrients and antioxidants, et. al.  They look like this:


OK, not with smiley faces.

But they do have "hair" in real life, just in the form of leaves, which you can cook up as you would kale or spinach.

See linkies below for recipes.  The home fries in the NYT article sound great, but the stuffed kohlrabi recipe sounds delicious.  I would stuff them with ground turkey (since JA doesn't eat red meat or pork), garlic, tomato and pepper.  I'd also skip the sour cream for JA's sake.  By myself, though, I'd add just a tad more cream than the recipe calls for (wrings hands greedily).

Stuffed kohlrabi

Celeriac and kohlrabi Rosti   (for this I will need to google Celeriac)

Kohlrabi white wine chicken linguine


No comments:

Post a Comment