Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Evolution of Breakfast Pizza

My friend JR and I like to try different places in Astoria for either dinner or brunch.  A few months ago, I searched for a new place near both me and JR to try.  I had been wanting to try Vesta for a while, since the menu offers dishes made with organic, local ingredients.  So I checked out the brunch menu.

That's when I came upon that which is called "Breakfast Pizza", or "Hangover Breakfast Pizza".  Vesta was the ticket.  Check it out:

                                          Photo: Daily Slice

This may sound gross, but I love runny yolks.  And that's exactly what I got with the Hangover Breakfast Pizza.  Delicious, golden egg yolk running all over the pizza, making beautiful music with the cheese, tomato sauce, potato, pancetta and sausage.

Today, I read an article on Gothamist that Breakfast Pizza, or as they refer to it, Carbonara Pizza, is not just for breakfast anymore.  Chi Chi places like Nicoletta in the East Village and Maialino in the Gramercy Hotel (!!) are now serving it, too.  For dinner.  Forcella, also in the East Village, has an intriguing version of the pie, but it's on their brunch menu only.  I suspect, however, that it's only a matter of time before it makes the leap onto the dinner menu.

Having a BF and very good best friend with lactose intolerance is not very good for a girl who wants nothing more than to explore NYCs pizza offerings.  So if anyone would like to accompany me on my expedition, please leave word.

If you would like to attempt your own Breakfast Pizza at home, try this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment